Study Guide China
What follows here is a great way to think about China.
Chapters 3 & 4
1. Why did the ancient Chinese believe that China was the center of the Earth and the sole source of civilization?
2. Which philosophy did Shi Huangdi adopt in order to build a strong government?
3. What is the ultimate goal of existence according to Hinduism?
4. What is the Mandate of Heaven?
5. What Chinese school of thought sought to live in harmony with nature?
6. Who was the philosopher whose ideas helped shape Chinese civilization for 2,500 years?
7. Who was the emperor who founded the Han dynasty?
8. What is a large landmass that juts out from a continent?
9. What is filial piety?
10. What is the collection of poems and stories that tell us about Aryan life?
11. On whose teachings did Han rulers base their policies?
12. What was the highest class in Aryan society?
13. How do you overcome a desire for riches according to the Buddhism?
14. What school of thought in China believed that the only way to achieve order was to pass laws and enforce them with harsh punishments?
15. Describe the Chinese system of writing:
16. What is the name of the Hindu god known as the destroyer?
17. What is veneration?
18. Who was the emperor who united China and built the Great Wall?
19. China experienced a “golden age” under which dynasty?
20. What impact did Gupta mathematicians have on civilization?
21. What was China’s most valuable export?
22. What was the name of the trade route that linked China with the west?
23. What was the purpose of caste rules in Hindu society?
24. What is the present day capital of China?